We blog, we bake.
We craft, we create.

Saturday 10 November 2012

Trying techniques with Pooh

Hello there. how nice to see you at The House of Bears, Pooh here today. First, for anyone coming from Dragon's Dream blog, here is my tag for the self propelled flowers challenge. Just in case it gets lost in my rather long winded post that follows!!!

I used a bleaching technique copied from One of Dyan Reavely's tutorials, which I found on Youtube, if you'd like to see her wonderful blog, then press your yellow furry paw Here. Alternatively, for video tutorials, search Youtube where there is a wealth of wonderful inspiration.

To comply with the self propelled element of the Dragonsdream challenge, my flowers move, as they are secured only in the middle by a brad, allowing them to turn. I also added a butterfly just flying off the top of the tag.



I made the tag alongside my journal page, which I've bragged, er, I mean blogged about below. Now, for anyone with a spare few hours and a bout of insomnia, the waffle below may help....

As I said, I'd been watching Youtube video tutorials, and came across one by Dyan, showing how to create a bleached technique using Dylusions mists. Unfortunately, the bears don't have all of Dyan's products, but we do have all but two of the lovely mists, so I set to making a background.

In the tutorial, Dyan uses black mist, but of course that's one of the colours we don't have. Ever the enterprising bear, I decided to use the lime and turquoise mists, for a nice colour contrast. I sprayed the lime towards the middle of my page, and the turquoise to the edges.


Although I wanted a double page spread, i misted just one page, then closed the book, to transfer the mist to the opposite page. A good way to distribute the mist is to roll over your closed page.


This is what it looked like once splodged and rolled.


I then selected a stamp, the stamp needed to have a colourable middle, so I choose a small flower. Archival ink is needed as any other ink will bleed at the bleaching stage.


I stamped over the border area of my misted background.





Then took a watercolour pen, filled with water (obviously) and 'painted' the petals of the flowers


This technique removes some of the mist, as you can see below.


I blotted the page with kitchen roll as I painted the petals, and also occasionally blotted my pen, to prevent it becoming logged with the mist I'd removed.


My next step was to spray a piece of white card with Bubblegum pink mist, dry it with my heat gun, and press the same stamp as I used on my background into my splodge (ooh I do love that word!)


I stamped and cut several flowers and placed them randomly around my page


Then it was Cricut time, I used the Heritage and Type Candy cartridges to print words and leaves.





Which I then adhered to my page, along with some flower stalks.


My finished project. The journalling was inspired by the song, Flowers in the Window, by Travis - as I was stamping the flowers onto my misted background, the song was revolving around my furry head. I thought that it made a cheery sentiment, and a suggestion of something nice to do on dreary days, flowers brighten up the dullest day don't they?

After finding a lovely new white journalling pen in the bears stash, I highlihted my words to make them stand out a little more



A close up of the left hand side



And one of the right.



I really loved creating my page, and am so thankful for the wonderful wealth of crafty knowledge on the Internet. Bears have very small brains, and need lots of inspawration.

TTFN (time to find new idea).

With love from the bears.

10 comments:

  1. How glorious, Pooh! First your tag, which I think is great - I love that the flowers are free to revolve in motion... and those pages are just fabulous. Thank you so much for such a clear and detailed step-by-step taking us through your creative process, rolling and all!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful tag and journal pages Pooh, I love your revolving flowers. Thanks so much for joining us again at TIO. Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic - the tag and the pages are gorgeous. Love the bright colors.
    Thanks for dreaming with us at TIO this fortnight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous tag Pooh... your tag & pages are Fabulous.... Thank you for dreaming with us at Dragons Dream.... May x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the tag great colours used. Great pages too. Thanks for sharing ar tio

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these pages. Love the song too! This technique is really interesting and one I shall be trying I reckon!
    Thanks for sharing - nice boxers by the way! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous tag and pages, yummy colours. Thanks for sharing with us at Dragons Dream TIO. Elizabeth x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous tag Pooh, those flowers are stunning! I can't believe you kept so clean with a dylusion spray in your paw though!! The pages are beautiful too.
    Juliax

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous tag and wonderful journal pages! Looks like you had very inky paws! Thank you so much for joining in with my TIO recipe this time!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on our blog. We read and treasure each and every one and always try to return visits. Please don't post spam, it will be deleted as bears much prefer chocolate! :)